Shopping for baby products is not an easy task for parents especially for first timers. Getting a crib is not an exception. These products may appear just like a normal furniture but choosing the best baby cribs for your baby will need a lot of considerations.
In this review, we will help you choose the best baby cribs that can make both you and your baby happy.
Usage and Benefits
A crib is specifically designed as bed for infants up until they reach the age of 24 months. It is usually enclosed on the side with rails while the top is open. Most parents shop for baby cribs even before the baby is born.
Benefits of Having a Baby Crib
It has been said that the crib is the safest place for a baby to sleep. A safe crib is one that meets safety standards of independent testing agencies such as United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), ASTM International and Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA).
The standards set by these agencies “prevent the risk of deaths and injuries from falls or entrapment due to parts failure, dislodgment, or poor maintenance or assembly of the crib.”
Crib sleeping is especially recommended on the following circumstances:
- When your baby is younger than 4 months old.
- Your baby was born prematurely or with low birth weight.
- If you or any other person in the bed is a smoker (even if you do not smoke in bed).
- The mother of the baby smoked during pregnancy.
- If you have taken any medicines or drugs that might make it harder for you to wake up.
- When you drank any alcohol.
- If you are not the baby’s parent.
- When your bed is too soft with soft pillows and beddings.
Also, it is important to observe safety guidelines when you put your baby to sleep on the crib.
Before laying your baby on a crib, make sure that it is clear of clutter. That means no things on the crib even pillows and quilts.
Place your baby on his back and make sure that the mattress is tight fitting and firm.
In looking for the best baby crib, design, size, mattress positions, materials making up the crib, certifications on quality and safety and functional features are the most important considerations.
There are different designs and types of baby cribs. Choosing one to suit your needs will be a matter of personal preference.
Standard Baby Cribs
These are traditionally designed cribs in rectangular form and fixed four walls.
Convertible Baby Cribs
As the name suggests, these cribs convert to different types of beds to accommodate your baby as he or she grows. These types of baby cribs are considered to be the bests in the market.
These cribs can come in 2-in-1, 3-in-1 to 4-in-1 types. We have included one 2-in-1 convertible baby crib from DaVinci that can be transformed to twin bed.
We have also reviewed some of the best 3-in-1 baby cribs that convert to toddler bed and day bed.
Baby cribs that can serve 4 functions as crib, toddler bed, day bed and full-size bed are the best choice for those who are especially looking for long lasting crib that can be adjusted up until the time your baby grows older.
Portable Baby Crib
Portable baby cribs have the looks similar to standard and convertible baby cribs but can be folded easily when not in use. This type is especially a better choice for parents with limited spaces in their homes and those who prefer a movable crib as this are usually equipped with wheels.
Travel cribs as the name suggest are designed for parents who travel with their baby all the time. This type of crib can be easily folded and packed for travel and is built with lightweight materials.
A multi-purpose crib combines a crib with other pieces of furniture like a change table, dressers, drawers and similar furniture.
Round Baby Crib
Round baby cribs are unusual find nowadays but can standout in your home interior décor with the right design.
The CPSC standardizes size for full-size crib with “interior dimensions of 28 ± 5/8 inches (71 ± 1.6 centimeters) in width x 52 3/8 ± 5/8 inches (133 ± 1.6 centimeters) in length.”
Mattress positions refer to the different height levels where you can set your baby crib’s mattress. The highest level is for newborns and can be lowered as your baby grows and progresses with different movements. The rule is to ensure that the mattress position is set to the level where your baby cannot climb out of the crib.
Products included in this review have 2 to 4 mattress positions.
The best baby cribs included in this review are made of hardwood and softwood materials.
Hardwoods are durable and offer a greater variety of grain pattern. Hardwoods are associated with materials from broadleaf trees such as maple, cherry, ash, oak, walnut, and mahogany.
Child Craft Camden 4-in-1 Convertible Crib is one of the best baby cribs manufactured from hardwood materials.
Softwoods on the other hand came from trees with needles such as spruce, pine, redwood, and cedar. Softwoods are less durable and sturdy than hardwoods and are more abundant. Most products included in this review are made of softwoods particularly pine wood.
Certification on Quality and Safety
Products included in this review are duly tested and certified to be in compliance with industry standard set by independent agencies committed to ensure child safety. When looking for the best baby crib out there, a legitimate approval from CPSC, ASTM International, JPMA and Greenguard will put your mind at ease.
Although all the products included in this review pass the safety standards set by authorities on this industry, a short summary of some safety guidelines that can aid in your shopping is necessary, as we do not want little mistakes when we are buying something for our little bundle of joy.
- Space between slats should be less than 2 3/8 inches (60 mm). This prevents a child’s head from being trapped.
- No cutout designs or spaces if there is an otherwise solid headboard or footboard to prevent your baby’s head, hands, arms or legs from being stuck.
- No corner posts that can grab your baby’s clothing. This may cause injury or strangulation.
- Tight and secure screws, bolts, and other construction materials should be checked regularly.
- Lead-free paint.
Baby Crib Hazards
As soon as you have chosen the best baby crib to suit your baby’s needs, be aware of baby crib hazard and how to prevent them.
- Use only mattresses designed for the crib. Make sure the mattress fits well.
- Adjust mattress levels as your baby grows.
- Keep cribs away from other furniture as well as from windows to prevent serious falls.
- Do not use crib when your baby has outgrown it.
- Always make sure that the crib is empty of hazardous items.
- Avoid bumper pads and make sure there are no things attach to the slats.
- Remove soft items and loose bedding on the crib.
Since most of the products that we reviewed are convertible type, we choose the best from among the items on each category – 2-in-1, 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 – and we choose one which we think is the best value baby crib overall.
Best Baby Crib, 2-in-1 Type
This Crib is a duly certified product by ASTM and U.S. CPSC and is tested free from lead and phthalate. The crib is made from New Zealand pinewood in Espresso finish with two adjustable mattress positions. The crib is convertible to twin-size bed when your baby is too big for a crib however conversion kit is sold separately.
This is a traditional rectangular design crib with mid range price. The size is smaller than full-size crib and thus it is more convenient for parents with smaller spaces. This crib fits well on standard door and can easily be moved across carpeted floor with no problem.
Best Baby Crib, 3-in-1 Type
This Crib is our choice of the best 3-in-1 type baby crib. The design of this crib is elegant and modern that can surely blend well with most interiors. It is enclosed by round spindles and lets you monitor your baby from all sides. The crib transitions to toddler bed and daybed as your baby grows. Mattress is adjustable to 3 positions at your convenience and specific requirement.
Made from New Zealand pinewood, duly certified by ASTM International and U.S. CPSC, this crib is highly rated by users. Also, the product is Greenguard Gold certified, a testament that the product is screened safe from 360 VOCs and over 10,000 chemicals.
So if you want a sturdy and beautifully designed crib for your baby with eco-friendly composition then you can check this product from Babyletto.
Best Baby Crib, 4-in-1 Type
This Crib is the best 4-in-1 type crib of our choice. Duly certified for safety by ASTM International, CPSC and Greenguard and made from New Zealand pinewood, this crib is an award-winning product, popular and well accepted by users. The design is beautiful and sturdy by DaVinci, a reputable brand for baby products for over 25 years.
The crib converts to toddler bed, day bed and full-size bed with 4 adjustable mattress positions to suit your needs, as your baby grows older.
For a mid-range price, get a quality and elegant crib and get all your monies worth from this crib.
Best Value Baby Crib
The best value baby crib from among the products that we reviewed.
At a relatively affordable price, you will be surprised to find this product having the same features with those more expensive counterparts. The crib converts to a toddler bed, a day bed and a full-size bed although the toddler guardrail, stabilizer and full-size rail are sold separately.
The maker claims 7 ways that this crib can be transformed. As a crib, 4 mattress positions are possible to match your specific requirement.
This product given its affordability does not compromise safety. ASTM and CPSC duly certify this product as complying with standards for cribs.
When budget does matter, consider this product as your top choice and you will be surprised to get all the benefit of a decent crib.
As every parent wants the best for their babies, we hope that this review gives you the complete guide in choosing the best crib for your baby.
Remember to choose those that are duly certified for safety, choose a product that suit your needs and style and always act with care and diligence when attending to your baby. A crib may be a small furniture but it is big for your baby. Choosing the best one can make both you and your baby happy.
Milliard Crib Mattress, Dual Comfort System, Firm Side For Baby and Soft Side For Toddler - 100% Cotton Cover
- Double Sided Mattress featuring a firmer side for infants, and a softer side for toddlers.
- A supportive foam layer will cradle your newborn safely, and the contouring memory foam layer will support proper posture in your toddler's back and neck.
- Features a 100% cotton cover that is waterproof and washable, for ultimate breathability and convenience.
- Measures: 52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches, fits standard size cribs and toddler beds.
- Meets or exceeds all US safety certifications and regulations.
Newton Baby Crib Mattress And Toddler Bed | 100% Breathable Proven To Reduce Suffocation Risk, 100% Washable, Hypoallergenic, Non-Toxic, Better Than Organic - White
1 used from $ 260.99
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers (2-stage) and 100% washable at home.
- PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED: For your baby's health, safety, and development. Hypoallergenic. Winner of numerous awards.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. 100% recyclable. Proudly made in the USA.
American Baby Company Waterproof Fitted Crib and Toddler Protective Mattress Pad Cover, White
$12.99 in stock
1 used from $ 10.00
- Top & Bottom: 100% Soft Polyester; Middle: Waterproof Vinyl. Measures 28 inches x 52 inches x 9 inches
- QUIET: Extra soft materials eliminate noisy "crinkling" sounds.
- EASY CLEANUP: Our Pads make for an easy way to clean up after that occasional night time accident. Just pull them off, and throw them in the wash.
- VALUE: Deep pockets that fit a standard 6" crib mattress. Machine washable and dryable.